Monday 25 June 2007

If I was a whale I'd be happy...

So its quite late and I probably should be tucked up in bed ready for a day of jobhunting tomorrow but we just watched 28 Days Later and I don't really fancy being in the dark for a bit as I'm terrified of of them zombie things, Phil Jupitus' drunk Glastonbury presenting is much more appealing. I don't know if its really worth it anyway. My hunt for employment is currently similar to Cilian Murphy's lonely and increasingly desparate search for survivors through London's deserted streets. He only finds looted shops and people who want to kill him, on second thoughts maybe it was filmed in Stockport.

This entry definitely did have a point. It was to say a few words about my favouritest band of 2007 bar none, the wonderful Slow Club. Hailing from Sheffield and barely out of their teens it would be easy for a jaded hack reading a press release to conjure up images of four lads in tracky tops singing about things like 'lasses in chip shops' and so on but thank god NO! Charles and Rebecca seem to be lost in a world of their own. They cite on their myspace their influences as not their fellow, more famous inhabitants of Steel City, nor any well known, Detroit-based two-pieces you could care to mention but instead simply, Leonard Cohen (the later years) and Rod Stewart (All the years) This wit and playfulness carries through to the duo's music which is a riot of intertwining vocals, jangling guitars and imaginitive percussion (Rebecca hits chair legs and empty bottles during performances) Slow Club's inventiveness and youthful optimism is what really makes them appeal to me. I stumbled across them in January when they supported Hot Club De Paris and they just had great big grins on their faces and just seemed really humbled by the occasion and the overwhelmigly positive reaction they received that night. Offering tea and cake to their fans as well as homemade Slow Club bags on the merch stall its great to see two people who are clearly having fun making music together, aren't bothered about looking 'cool' or jumping on any bandwagon and don't look like bloody Milburn. Long may it continue I say.

Their debut single 'Because We Are Dead' is out on Moshi Moshi TODAY (timing or what eh?) and I'm sure it would put a similar smile on your face if you bought a copy and played it at the right speed (or the wrong one, probably) on a turntable so go on, do your bit. Theyre also playing at a load of festivals over the summer, most notably Green Man in Wales (because I'll be there!) but also Latitude, Bestival and End of The Road and others, all the dates are on the myspace. Speaking of the end of the road I think its time for me to go to bed but I'll leave you with an mp3 off the first demo and the b-side to the single. It's called 'Sunday' and is absolutely lovely. Hopefully the zombies won't get me xxx

Slow Club - Sunday (Demo)

2 comments:

Mu said...

i sent you a letter today.

Mu said...

also i like these guys. cheers for bringing them to my attention. xxx