Wednesday 6 June 2007

I'd rather cut my arms off than see you going out with him

It's been a fair while since I last posted but unusually I've good reasons to support my lackadaisical work ethic rather than a lack of enthusiasm as is usually the case, it seems like I've actually been keeping myself busy for a change. After exams were finished and pens fell to desks in celebratory clatters I dusted off my NX2 card (£1 fares!) in the hope of travelling to sunnier parts of these fair isles with the intent of drinking cider/seeing some music/trying to forget I've a summer job to find.



First port of call was a rain-soaked Nottingham for the sixth annual Dot to Dot Festival. Highlights of the day included an exhausted but typically exhilarating set from Foals currently in the studio recording their debut album but who will be emerging, blinking into the summer sun with polished bleeps and beats to play a bunch of festival dates, Fred Les Inc's howling with his new band Ox.Eagle.Lion.Man seeing probably the worst band I've ever seen in the form of We Smoke Fags, seriously like an even worse Towers of London, an amazing plate of curly fries and being uncharacteristically incandescent with rage with a 14 year old in a bono must die t-shirt (nuff said) throwing glowsticks at Gary's head during The Cribs' set. I felt bad because he looked like he might cry after I'd told him off but glowsticks+aggression toward a Jarman is in my book akin to pulling the tail of a very large, angry lion with respiratory problems. Only disappointment of the day was missing Annuals who were on at Nottingham Trent but we feared if we stepped outside we might literally have been engulfed by a whale or some other scary sea-being such was the ferocity of the rain.

After an incredibly uncomfortable nights "sleep" on a mates uni floor and a day of rest back in Leeds I had my head against the bus window again on my way to London to see The Cribs at the Astoria. It was at this gig, amongst lots of excitable children that me and my fellow attendees realised with a quiet sadness that we don't want to be the ones down at the front getting elbowed in the face and covered in sweat and other bodily fluids anymore. I'm content to stand at the back appreciating the onstage banter, any knitwear a musician might be sporting and grumbling about 'kids these days'. The new Cribs tracks sound amazing live, I think Ancient History is my favourite because of the speedy-up bit at the end that sounds like Sonic Youth, plus they have great flashing lights now that accompany it, its like theyre a proper band or something, like on Jools Holland when they were in the same room as Simply Red, I feel proud and a bit maternal.

I wanted to write a little bit about my favourite new band from Leeds, The Rosie Taylor Project a drummerless 5-piece I saw supporting Camera Obscura last weekend who have obviously realised that what you lose in a drummer, can be more than made up for by being actually able to hear the other instruments, which is nice. Shuffling onstage to a silent and initially sceptical audience, we were treated to 40-0dd minutes of beatifully layered folk-pop and by the end, whoops of glee could be heard throughout the venue, not bad amongst a crowd whose cardigan:person ratio is higher than your average gig. They've got a single called 'Black and White Films' out on Bad Sneakers records in a couple of months so yeah, get it!

This weekend will mostly be spent in front of the BBC coverage of Glastonbury trying to convince myself I don't want to be there but I know when I see the first shots of Mark Radcliffe flying around in a helicopter trying to spot Michael Eavis' beard I'll be jealous of everyone. Anyone with the post-Glasto blues should definitely come to Cafe Saki on Monday and see Dananananaykroyd pummell a smile into your lovely face. It's not to be missed! I promise to spend more time on here and less time learning Larry David quotes, maybe...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude! what are "id rather cut my arms off than see you going out with him" lyrics to? Saw the Cribs singing them.
Sorry for the random comment!

Anonymous said...

yeah same cant find what song it is anywhere! lol

Anonymous said...

While you are purchasing under garments, try to avoid all resources apart from natural cotton. A number of fabric can inflame your afflicted location, which could raise the long life of your respective condition. Also, make sure to obtain under garments that fits easily to enable you to feel safe because the time would wear on. [url=http://www.xxxw12woo.info]app76udi[/url]